Our wool adheres to organic standards — humane treatment, animal healthcare, and certified organic feed and pastures.
As described by the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s National Organic Standards:
• Genetic engineering is prohibited.
• All livestock feed, forage and bedding (if roughage) used from the last third of gestation must be certified organic (including pasture).
• All organic sheep must have year-round access to the outdoors and obtain a minimum of 30% of their dry matter intake from pastures for a minimum of 120 days to ensure grazing is a substantive portion of the animal’s diet.
• Use of conventional synthetic hormones, medicines, and synthetic pesticides (internal, external, and on pastures, including organophosphates, amidines, and syntheticpyrethroids), is prohibited. Only those “least toxic” materials on the National List of Allowed and Prohibited Substance as found in the organic regulations (section 205.603) maybe used.
• Producers must encourage livestock health through preventive disease management practices prior to the use of approved synthetic medicines.
Organic livestock management is different from non-organic management in several ways:
• Organic sheep cannot be dipped in commonly used parasiticides (insecticides).
• Organic sheep must have access to the outdoors at all times. (NOTE: Animals may be temporarily confined during bad weather to prevent illness and environmental damage.)
• Mulesing, the practice of removing strips of wool-bearing skin from around sheep’s buttocks to prevent flystrike, is prohibited.
• Tail docking is prohibited shorter than the caudal fold, and only in a manner that minimizes pain.
• Organic livestock producers are required to ensure that they do not exceed the natural carrying capacity of the land on which their animals graze.
Third-party certification organizations verify that organic producers use only methods and materials allowed in organic production.
The Avocado brand is built on two core pillars — Sustainability and Social Responsibility — that actually go well beyond organic practices. When you purchase our products, you’re voting (with your wallet) to support environmentally conscious, ethical and sustainable business practices — to help safeguard your health and protect our planet.